A Song for Miha - A Short Children's Story

 


 

A SONG FOR MIHA

A Short Children’s Story

 

JEAN DANIEL

 

Copyright 2026

All Rights Reserved.

 

 

A SONG FOR MIHA

 

The Black Forest was dark and deep and smothering. Miha was fearful of it. He didn’t like to walk alone very far. His mother kept him there with her, just the two of them, without another soul to speak to or laugh with. She, too, was fearful but didn’t know which way led to safety.

 

As a child she had been told stories of fierce, frightening creatures roaming in the thickets day and night. The stories were enough to keep her from trying to escape the forest. She decided it was better to stay where she knew she was safe than to venture out and find danger in the shadows.

 

Once, years ago, a handsome logger came through the Black Forest, on his way to the city. He saw Miha’s mother and fell in love with her right away. He married her and built her a cabin in the woods. A beautiful little place with round log walls and doors carved with scenes of wolves dancing in the clearing under a fat, happy moon.

 

Soon, the couple brought Miha into the world to live with them. Life was bright with laughter and love. Miha could barely recall his father’s face but whenever he thought about him he smiled. Especially when he would remember his father’s strong, powerful voice, singing a hearty tune as he chopped wood for the winter fire.

 

And his father regaled him with stories about the world outside the Black Forest. Their country was called Illyria, a vast, beautiful place with many cities, the closest of which was Parthus.

 

“There are blue mountains as high as the sky!” he would say, “And waterfalls, and rivers, and towns with houses made of gold. So bright they blind you. And the sea, The Great Green Sea! It lies beyond the deepest woods. It is the most beautiful, glistening, exciting thing a man could ever behold!”

 

“Will you take me there someday?” Miha would ask.

 

“Of course! I’ll take you everywhere!” his father would answer. “I’ll show you the world, my boy! The whole big wonderful world!”

 

Miha grinned a bit, remembering those words. But he felt bad, too, because his father had left them to seek his fortune and never returned.

 

“I miss my father’s voice,” he said one day while he helped his mother at the fireplace. They were cooking a bowl of mushrooms Miha had picked in the forest that morning. They didn’t have many choices of food, being so deep in the woods. Just mushrooms and crayfish from the creek and a few potatoes his mother managed to grow in a small area behind the cabin.

 

Miha longed to taste something fresh and new. His father had told him of wonderful things a person could eat in Parthus – cheeses and sausages and bread and sweet purple grapes. Miha wished he could know what such things were like. If only he could go to the city.

 

“I miss your father, too,” his mother sighed. “He said he would return. And I believed him. But so many moons have passed in the sky now. I’m afraid he will never return.”

 

“Maybe he forgot the way to our cabin.” Miha suggested, sad at seeing two tears drop from the corners of his mother’s eyes.

 

“It’s possible, I suppose.” She sighed again, slipped a fingertip into the bowl to test the mushrooms’ flavor. “These are so bland. I wish we had salt or some milk for a sauce. But I guess we should be thankful we have any food at all.”

 

“Did you ever go to the city, Mother?”

 

She seemed surprised at his question. “No, I never did. But I used to go to a village somewhere near here. My father would take us to church then we’d have a big supper with his relatives in an enormous house by a lake.”

 

Miha sat up, he was very interested in this village.

 

“Why have you never told me about the village before?”

 

“Oh, I have tried to forget it, Miha. Things happened there; hurtful things. People can be so cruel. I didn’t want to remember.”

 

“Please tell me what happened, Mother. I am old enough to know.”

 

She set the bowl on the table, warmed her hands by the fire.

 

“The children there would make fun of my plain clothes and my pigtailed hair. They would laugh at me or whisper stories about me behind my back. Even my cousins treated me badly. I finally made up my mind that I would hide from them and the village and remain in the woods for the rest of my life. My parents felt the same way.”

 

“Was there no one who was kind to you?”

 

“Oh, I suppose there was. But I only noticed the hurtful words and the mean-spirited laughter. Bad things stay in your memory much longer than good things. But now that I’m older I see that I shouldn’t have hidden myself away. I shouldn’t have blamed the whole village for the actions of a few.”

 

“Could we go there now?” Miha asked, excited.

 

“Oh, I don’t think I could find it. Not after so long.”

 

“Do you think Father would be there?”

 

“No, Miha. Your father was going to Parthus.”

 

“Then, let’s go find Parthus!”

 

“It’s very far from here. I wouldn’t know how to begin to look for it. And there are creatures in the forest. My own father told me so. We are better off staying here.”

 

She sat at the table, spooned the mushrooms out onto two wood plates. Then she poured some creek water from a pitcher into two metal cups.

 

“Eat your supper, Miha. We’ll need our strength to chop more wood for the winter. I’m afraid it’s going to be a long, cold season.”

 

He nodded and began to eat. His thoughts were racing round in his head. He kept thinking how not once in his seven years on Earth had he ever seen a creature in the woods. There were no wolves howling in the night, no birds tweeting in the daytime. He wouldn’t know such animals existed if his mother hadn’t told him about them. Maybe there were no creatures in the Black Forest.

 

While he was sitting there at the table, Miha made a plan. Starting that night, while his mother slept, he would take a long walk through the woods, going as far as he dared, until he reached some village or a town or even Parthus itself. Then he would return to get his mother and take her there.

 

She had been feeling poorly for a time. He had noticed the heaviness in her breathing and the slowness of her steps. He didn’t think she was truly ill, just sad and lost and weary of the woods and its damp, close air.

 

He figured he would use a lantern to guide his way, and mark the path as he went along with notches in tree trunks or broken branches. He’d done that before, to help him find the creek. It would serve him well on his journeys.

 

His first outing was unsuccessful. He made it far past the little creek and up a steep slope into even thicker woods, where he could scarcely breathe. He felt as though the woods were about to swallow him up, the trees reaching down at him with long, clutching limbs.

 

Miha hurried back home, cleaned the creek mud from his sandals and went to bed, determined to try again the next night.

 

Daylight brought a plain but filling breakfast of potato soup then he spent hours and hours chopping wood, stacking the wood and banking the fire. After that Miha had to help his mother gather more potatoes from the root cellar then he held the ladder so she could replace some wood tiles on the roof of the cabin.

 

They usually skipped eating again till dark, which came early in the thick forest. The sun never quite broke through the clusters of tree branches to warm their faces but merely peeked through here and there; giving them a hint of how good it could feel on their skin.

 

Miha was exhausted by bed time but he was set on his mission and would not give up.

 

On this trip he headed south towards the clearing that was the inspiration for his father’s wood carvings. But there were no wolves dancing under the moon. In fact, there was no moon. Or if there was, it must have been hiding behind a blanket of dense black trees.

 

Miha traveled farther, making sure to mark a trail for his walk home. He found another clearing, a bit wider, with dry grass that crackled under his sandals. The wind managed to press through the woods there, sending icy shivers through his shabby tunic. He drew his collar up around his throat and pushed on.

 

Soon he came to what he thought was a gigantic black lake. The water slid back and forth in a soothing rhythm, but it turned the wind to a demon, burning his eyes and freezing his cheeks and hands. It shook his lantern, snuffed the light.

 

Miha was caught in darkness so thick it blinded him. He sought shelter with his numbed fingers, but the shore was too open. If he stepped the wrong way he might be lost to the lake waters, and he didn’t know how to swim.

 

A storm blew down from the sky, stinging rain beat the top of his uncapped head, soaking his blond hair and covering his mouth till he cried.

 

“I must get away!” he said. Then he turned to go back the way he had come. The thick darkness confused him; he no longer knew which direction he should go.

 

Miha feared he might drown from the lake or the rain or both.

 

Then he heard a sound faintly sifting through the downpour. It was lyrical, like someone singing. He tried to follow it. It led him to a house of some sort. He could feel a door handle and pulled it open.

 

Inside he found a dry floor. He sat on it, crossed his feet and tried to light his lantern again with a flint from his satchel. It took a little while but finally the lantern became bright enough to show him where he was.

 

The house around him was small but comfortable, not much different than the cabin he shared with his mother, with a bed and a side table and a small hearth with some old wood stacked in a box.

 

Miha lit the logs in the hearth, made a nice, cozy fire to dry his wet tunic. He hung it on a stand by the mantel then curled up in the bed under some scratchy linen covers and fell asleep.

 

A bright light hit Miha’s face the next morning. It was like nothing he had ever seen before – streaks of sparkles came through the cracks in the little house’s door, made a wonderful glow all around him.

 

He hopped up and threw on his tunic then burst out of the door.

 

The whole world seemed to be caught in that light – beautiful and luminous and breathtaking. Miha saw then that the black lake was endless, and it was no longer black but as green as the leaves on the trees.

 

“Oh!” he exclaimed. “This must be The Great Green Sea that my father told me about! It’s wonderful!”

 

He glanced all around him at the beauty of The Great Green Sea, and the glowing blue sky and the sun – oh, the sun – so bright and yellow and warm. He wanted to bathe in it!

 

For the first time in his life he felt free and alive!

 

But then Miha’s heart sank. He had been away from his mother all night. She must be worried.

 

He decided he had to rush home as quickly as he could to get her and bring her back to this beautiful place.

 

He looked around. He had become so lost in the darkness and the storm; he didn’t know which way he should go.

 

Miha searched the edge of the forest all morning, trying to find his marks but they weren’t there. He must have walked much farther in the dark than he had thought.

 

He was beginning to feel afraid. If he couldn’t discover the trail how would he get back to his mother? She would be so alone without him.

 

That faint sound came again - that song, dancing on the air. Miha waited, wanting to make sure it was real and not some trick of his imagination.

 

But it was real. It slowly became louder and louder until, his heart bursting with joy, Miha realized it was his father’s voice, singing his name!

 

He ran towards the sound, tears blurring his eyes.

 

“I’m here, Father! I’m here, by the sea!”

 

He heard a rustling of leaves then his father appeared at the edge of the forest, looking just as he had when he left. Miha’s mother was with him. She stepped out of the dark woods, shielding her face from the unfamiliar brightness.

 

“Miha! There you are! We were so afraid we’d lost you!”

 

He ran to them. She hugged him tightly, kissed his warm cheek. Then his father lifted him up to the sky.

 

“Well, haven’t you grown! You’ll be a man soon!”

 

Miha laughed as his father set him back down.

 

“Why did you run away, Miha?” his mother asked.

 

“Oh, but I didn’t, Mother! I was searching for a better place to live. I was coming back to get you but I couldn’t find my trail.”

 

“So you did leave this trail?” His father smiled. “We hoped you had. You are a clever young fellow.”

 

“Yes, and look what a lovely place he found.” His mother’s face glowed with a happiness Miha hadn’t seen in a long time. “Could we live here, darling? And never return to the woods?”

 

“We have money enough to live anywhere now, my girl. I think this spot is as good as any. What do you say, Miha, shall we live by The Great Green Sea?”

 

“I’d like that. I feel alive here.”

 

“So do I, son. So do I.”

 

“Father, why were you gone so long?” Miha wondered that night as they sat around the hearth in the little house, eating fish they’d caught that afternoon.

 

“I guess I did the same thing you did, son. Only I went about it the wrong way. I was determined to get your mother, and you, out of those dark woods. So, I went out to make my fortune. But I should’ve just found a better spot to live and brought you both back with me.”

 

“I should have been more willing to go with you in the first place,” Miha’s mother sighed. “It took me too long to realize that not everyone would be cruel to me, that I have to give people the chance to be kind.”

 

“Will there be other people around here, Father?” Miha was excited by that idea.

 

“Yes, son, there are plenty of people living by the sea. Tomorrow we’ll go and meet some, if you’d like?”

 

“I would. And we’ll give them the chance to be kind, won’t we, Mother?”

 

“Yes, we will, my love.”

 

She hugged him again. Miha was happy. There would be no more dark, cold nights in the Black Forest for them.

 

THE END

 

Comments

Popular Posts