Neheti's Brother - A Short Children's Story

 



NEHETI’S BROTHER

A Short Children’s Story

 Jean Daniel

Copyright 2026

 

All Rights Reserved.

 

 

NEHETI’S BROTHER

 

Neheti lived with her family in Alexandria, Egypt, a bright white city that sat between the marshes of the blue Nile River and the shore of The Great Green Sea.

 

Now, in Egypt, back then, only boys could go to school, which meant that Neheti’s brother, Minu, went to school in the Pharaoh’s beautiful, golden palace everyday, while Neheti did not.

 

He ate and played and napped alongside the sons of the Pharaoh, and saw the pretty princesses in their jeweled costumes, and the mysterious visitors from other lands. Minu did all this, while Neheti stayed at home.

 

Every morning her mother would say: “Come, Neheti, bid your brother goodbye, and wish him well in his work.”

 

Neheti would do as she was asked, then she would run frowning to the kitchen, where the cook, Nani, would give her a honeycake and a slice of melon for her misery.

 

“Why must I stay here, Nani, while Minu goes to the palace?”

 

“We all have our jobs to do, little one. But why do you worry? Your mother has taught you well. Can you not read the writing on the temple walls? And you know the name of every Pharaoh, going back a hundred years. You know more than I, and I am a grown woman!”

 

“It is not so much the learning,” Neheti pouted. “It is the palace. I want to see the palace, to be inside it. To see what Minu does there.”

 

“You shouldn’t be so jealous of your brother,” Nani scolded.

 

“I’m not. I just want to see the palace.”

 

The next morning, Minu went off, as usual, while Neheti sat with her mother, Nefera, on their sunny porch, learning to read the picture words called hieroglyphics.

 

Other mornings, she would learn to sew with golden threads, to make beautiful gossamer tunics for the ladies who lived in the palace.

 

“Why can’t we go to the palace, Mother?”

 

“Always the same question, Neheti. The palace school is for your brother, and the other boys who wish to be scribes, the keepers of records.”

 

“Why can’t I be a scribe?

 

“Isn’t it time for your cooking lesson?”

 

Neheti sighed. “Yes, Mother.”

 

Neheti went to the kitchen, where she helped Nani with baking the flat bread, and plucking the geese for roasting, and basting a duck with honey and spice, all the while thinking of her brother at the palace.

 

The next day, after Minu left, Neheti and Liti the housekeeper walked to the city market to buy food and to barter for precious, glittering fabrics and fragrant oils from other lands.

 

In the afternoon, Neheti sat down with Tana-khi, the weaver, who taught her to weave colorful rugs and bed covers and curtains for the windows.

 

Neheti had just finished a bed cover for Minu. She took it to his bedroom and laid it on his bed. While there, she noticed one of his tunics, draped across a chair.

 

“That gives me an idea,” she thought, and sneaked the tunic to her room.

 

Things went along as always the next morning, except that, once Minu had left, Neheti crept upstairs to her room, and put on his tunic.

 

Egyptian children had mostly shaven heads, with boys wearing one lock of braided hair, while girls wore three longer braids.

 

Neheti untied her hair, twisted it into one long cord, hoping no one would look close enough to tell any difference.

 

She made her way to the palace, slipping through the tight crowds on the sidewalks of the tree-lined streets.

 

Gilded horse-drawn chariots and lowly wooden wagons pulled by mules paraded through the city, carrying their masters to villas and markets and temples and shops.

 

Everyone had a place to go, but no one seemed to hurry, no one but Neheti.

 

She reached the outer gates of the palace, fell in with some schoolboys, and entered without trouble.

 

Up the steps they went, passing all sorts of guards and soldiers with gleaming swords and sharp-edged spears at their sides.

 

Neheti’s heart shook, fear pushing her through the sunlit halls.

 

A group of young girls, perhaps the Pharaoh’s daughters, all in silken gowns, their throats banded with gold and rainbows of jewels, giggled at the schoolboys as they stumbled by. Neheti was thrilled to see them, wondered what it must be like to live as they did, in that shiny, magical palace.

 

She followed the boys into a bright room, where other boys sat on mats on the floor. Minu was there, his head bent down as he wrote upon a sheet of papyrus, a coarse, thick paper made from the reeds which grew by the river Nile.

 

Neheti ducked behind the huge statue of a scribe, a man who wrote everything down, to keep records, for history, a very important job for a man of Egypt. This was what Minu was learning to be.

 

Neheti curled up behind the statue, waited to see what wonderful things Minu would do during the day.

 

The boys wrote their picture words over and over, until it was time for lunch. Then a trio of servant girls served them food in the nearby courtyard, wonderful platters of fruit and bread and honey, while Neheti still hid, her belly growling.

 

Afterwards, the boys played games in the courtyard, chasing and tumbling and laughing aloud, while Neheti still hid, her legs tired, and cramping.

 

The boys returned to their writing, as the day lingered on. Neheti still hid, her eyes weary. She soon fell asleep, curled up behind the statue.

 

There was a horrible crash. Neheti woke, found herself lying on the floor, the shattered statue in pieces about her.

 

All the boys were standing around her, pointing and laughing.

 

The teacher was angry, shouting at them.

 

Minu, his face red as beets, grabbed Neheti’s hand and pulled her up off the floor.

 

“Who is this, Minu?” the teacher asked.

 

“My sister,” Minu admitted, embarrassed.

 

“What are you doing here, Minu’s sister?”

 

Neheti brushed herself off, glanced round at all the laughing faces. She took a deep breath, held her head up high.

 

“I wanted to see the palace, to see what Minu did here. And now that I have seen it, I want to do it, too!”

 

“What?” the teacher exclaimed. “YOU want to be a scribe?”

 

“Yes, sir, I do!”

 

“But girls can’t be scribes!” a boy laughed.

 

“And why not?” asked Minu. “Neheti can write very well. She can read, she can sew, and cook, and weave. She even made a cover for my bed that is beautiful.”

 

Neheti looked shyly at her brother.

 

“You liked the bed cover?”

 

“Yes, very much.” He turned to the teacher. “Sir, why can’t Neheti be a scribe?”

 

The teacher could offer no reason. So Neheti stayed there, and a messenger was sent to Nefera, to tell her where her daughter was, and that she was all right.

 

And when time came to go home, Neheti and Minu walked together, proudly.

 

“Thank you, Minu,” Neheti smiled, “for asking the teacher to let me stay.”

 

“That’s okay. But...” he paused, “could you do something for me?”

 

“What?”

 

“Teach me how to weave a bed cover like the one you made for me?”

 

“I will. Just as Tana-khi taught me!”

 

“You know,” Minu said, “I always imagined that you sat home, playing with Mew Mew’s kittens, or with Beba the monkey. I wished I could stay home, too, and play. But then I saw that you did so many other things, things I can learn, too.”

 

Neheti nodded and smiled again.

 

They reached home, laughing together, and scurried in to see their mother, who was frowning.

 

“Neheti, child! Why were you at the palace?”

 

“I am sorry that I worried you, Mother, but I was learning to be a scribe!”

 

“You? A scribe? Well, I’m not surprised. You could always do anything you put your mind to. Is it hard work, to be a scribe?”

 

“It is,” Minu said, “but I will help her learn.”

 

“Yes, and I will teach him to weave a bed cover, for you. But, for now, let’s run out to the marshes, and play with Mew Mew’s kittens and Beba the monkey.”

 

“Could we, Mother?” Minu asked.

 

“Of course. It is still awhile before dinner. But mind you stay clear of the water.”

 

"We will, Mother.” they promised together.

 

They ran out to the marshes, where Mew Mew’s kittens played at battle, and Beba the monkey turned flips, and snatched bites of melon slices right out of their mouths.

 

THE END

 

Comments

Popular Posts